Buffalo Wing Burgers
Best buffalo wings I ever had were in Paris. As in France. I know, I know. Crazy, right? But my fellow model friends and I were homesick, so we’d get together to cook good ol’ American food. My friend Sherry had this amazing version that combined hot sauce and butter with honey. Some of the other girls freaked out about the honey, but I knew she was onto something. Her wings were sticky, sweet, and so yummy. I’ve never forgotten Sher- ry’s wings and decided to turn them into a burger. Packing all that goodness—including the celery sticks and blue cheese dressing!—between buns is super tasty and easy.
3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon hot sauce (preferably Frank’s) 2 teaspoons honey
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Celery and Blue Cheese Slaw:
4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for frying
1⁄3 cup minced yellow onion
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons hot sauce (preferably Frank’s)
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
11⁄4 pounds coarsely ground chicken or turkey
4 brioche or potato buns, toasted if desired
1. To make the mayo: In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce, honey, and cayenne until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
2. To make the slaw: In a large bowl, combine the celery, onion, and parsley. Add the vinegar, oil, lemon zest, salt, and pepper and toss well. Gently toss in the blue cheese and refrigerate until the burgers are ready.
2. To make the burgers: In a small skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat. When the butter is almost melted, add the onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes, then stir in the garlic. When the onion is golden and tender, stir in the hot sauce, thyme, chile flakes, and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
3. Combine the chicken with the cooled onions using slightly damp hands. You want it well mixed, but you don’t want to squeeze it and make it tough. Form the mixture into four burgers 1⁄2 inch larger in diameter than the buns. Use your thumb to dimple the center of each patty.
4. Coat a large nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until browned, about 3 minutes, then carefully flip them. Cook until the other side is browned and the meat cooked through, about 3 minutes longer. The burger will feel firm and the juices will run clear.
5. Slather the spicy mayo on the buns. Divide the burgers among the bun bottoms and top with the slaw. Sandwich with the bun tops and serve immediately.
Love burgers? Try my Persian Mini Meaty Pitas with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce!
#burgers #buffalowings #CarlaHall #recipes #coleslaw #picnic #barbecue #maindish